2.6 留学 Study Abroad
情景对话 Dialogue
Mary wants to apply a graduate school in America. Now she is consulting the receptionist.
玛丽想申请美国的研究生学院,现在她正在咨询接待员。
Receptionist: Can I help you?
接待员:能为你服务吗?
Mary: Yes. I am interested in applying for graduate school in America.
玛丽:是的,我想申请美国的研究生院。
Receptionist: We have some catalogues from U.S. universities. You may check in the reference stacks over there.
接待员:我们有一些关于美国大学概况的手册,你可以在那边的参考书架上查看。
Mary: Can you recommend some universities with good graduate schools?
玛丽:你能推荐一些有着好的研究生院的大学吗?
Receptionist: Well, generally in the U.S. each university has its own outstanding fields. But the Graduate School accepts no applications after January 29th.
接待员:嗯,在美国,一般每所大学都有自己杰出的领域,但是研究生院在1月29日后停止接受申请表。
Mary: Oh, no. It's already February 5th.
玛丽:噢,不。今天已经是2月5日了。
Receptionist: So if you apply, you must wait until the first semester next year.
接待员:所以你申请的话,你必须等到明年的第一个学期。
Mary: Thank you. I will think about it.
玛丽:谢谢,我会考虑的。
单词短语 Words and Phrases
catalogue [ˈkætəlɒɡ] n.目录;登记
reference [ˈrefrəns] n.参考;提及;证明
recommend [rekəˈmend] v.推荐;劝告;托付
outstanding [aʊtˈstændɪŋ] adj.显著的
核心句型 Key Sentences
1.All the information is included in the application packet.
所有的资料都在申请表的袋子里。
2.All applicants to the graduate school must have five letters of recommendation.
所有申请研究生院的人都需要有5封推荐信。
3.We must have official university transcripts sent directly from their previous school.
我们必须要有从原学校寄来的正式的大学成绩单。
4.All graduate students must have GRE or GMAT scores sent to us by the testing center.
所有的研究生必须要有GRE或是GMAT的成绩,由考试中心寄给我们。
5.We require you to complete personal information form.
你需要填写完整的个人信息表。
6.The application usually begins in September.
申请一般于9月份开始。
7.International admissions officers advise students to apply for at least two schools in the U.S.
国际招生办的负责人建议留学生申请至少两个美国的学校。
8.The applicant must have enough economic capacity.
留学申请者必须具备足够的经济能力。
9.Let's look at what the application process includes.
我们来看看申请过程都包括什么。
10.Students who use forged qualification documents will be thrown out of the school.
伪造留学申请材料的学生将会被学校开除。
11.If you apply a student visa, please fill out the Application Form.
如果你要申请留学签证,请填写申请表。
12.I didn't apply financial aids.
我没有申请财政援助。
13.If you can't get scholarship, will you continue to apply to study abroad?
如果你没有获得奖学金,是否继续申请留学?
14.How about your parents' annual income or monthly salary?
你父母的年收入或月收入是多少?
15.Tell me your information in detail, such as full name, education background, transcripts, working background, language score and self-evaluation.
告诉我你的详细信息,比如姓名、学历背景、在校成绩、工作背景、语言成绩、自我评价等。
地道英语 Idiomatic English
1.The Graduate School accepts no applications after January 26th. 研究生院在1月26日后停止接受申请表。
注 用accept no… 来表示“停止接受”,而不用stop/refuse,显得简明、贴切。
2.I heartily look forward to your acceptance of my application!衷心地希望您能接受我的申请!
注 heartily作副词表示“尽情地;强烈地;衷心地;极为”。表示“衷心地”,也可以用from the bottom of one's heart。
3.How much is the application fee for applying to graduate school? 申请研究生院的费用是多少?
注 表示“费用多少”,用how much is the fee for…。
4.There wasn't sufficient reason you would return.你的回国理由不充分。
注 表示“理由充分(与否)”,用have (not) sufficient reason/have adequate grounds for。
5.What was the reason you were denied?你的拒签理由是什么?
注 表示“签证拒签”,也可以说Your visa was denied/turned down.或I wasn't allowed a visa.表示“签证到期”,则可以说My visa expired.
由此及彼 Draw Inferences
1.Can you tell me what I need in my application?
你能告诉我申请需要什么东西吗?
2.We would like to provide you with any information that is involved in the application.
如果您有任何关于申请的问题,我们将非常乐意提供您所需的信息。
3.Could you tell me something about application procedures?
您能告诉我有关申请的程序吗?
4.We provide both package application service, the tailor-made writing and editing service.
我们提供全套申请服务和单项论文写作与修改服务。
5.In recent days, Australia encouraged international students to apply for permanent residency.
近来,澳大利亚政府鼓励留学生申请永久居民身份。
6.If you are unable to get to our offices, please contact us by email, fax or phone.
如果您无法前来,可以通过电子邮件、传真或电话与我们联系。
7.It has been too late to apply for a school in this fall semester.
要申请秋季入学已经太晚了。
8.If you want to apply to the consul for a visa, you must go to consulate to find the consul.
如果你想向领事申请签证,你必须去领事馆找领事。
9.Show me your passport, temporary residence certificate and application form, please.
请出示你的护照、暂住证和签证申请表。
10.If the letter of admission does not include a visa certificate and also does not refer to its being issued, the student should write for clarification.
如果入学通知书既未附有签证证明,又未说明是否即将发出,学生就应该写信去问清楚。