Unit6 吸烟损人不利己
这种情景,你该怎么说?
Dialogue 1(实况对话)
A: Would you like a smoke?
A:抽烟吗?
B: No thanks. I've just decide to give up smoking.
B:不,谢谢。我已经决定戒烟了。
A: Really? Why?
A:真的?为什么?
B: Well, I just think that if you don't enjoy doing something any more, you should drop doing it.
B:嗯,我只是觉得如果你不喜欢再做什么事情的话,就不要做好了。
A: I see. You mean you don't enjoy smoking any more?
A:噢,你的意思是说你不喜欢吸烟了?
B:That's right. You should give it up, too. It's bad for your health.
B:对啊,你也应该戒掉,吸烟有害健康。
A: Stop talking like my mother. That's what she keeps saying.
A:别像我妈妈似的,她总是这么说。
B: But it's true. Smoking a nasty habit. I can't understand why I ever started. Anyway, it's obviously got you in its grip.
B:但我说得没错,吸烟是个坏习惯,我真不明白我是怎么开始吸烟的。反正它把你控制住了。
A: What do you mean? What are you talking about?
A:你是什么意思?你在说什么啊?
B: I mean you couldn't give it up.
B:我是说你无法戒掉烟。
Dialogue 2(实况对话)
A: What's your opinion of people smoking in the office?
A:对于办公室吸烟你怎么看?
B: Well, in my opinion, people shouldn't smoke in the office. It's so boring. And it's harmful not only to smoker themselves, but also to other people's health.
B:我的观点是人们不应该在办公室吸烟,太令人讨厌了,不但会给他们自身带来危害,也有害于别人的健康。
A: Yes, I agree. But I think we should join together to ban smoking.
A:对,我同意。但我觉得我们应该联合起来禁止吸烟。
B: Right. It's time for us to take some action.
B:是的,是我们采取行动的时候了。
A: That's exactly what I was going to say.
A:这正是我要说的。
经典句型你会吗?
请对方吸烟
1. Help yourself a cigarette.
请抽支烟。
2. Have a smoke, will you?
抽烟吗?
也可以这样说:Would you like a cigarette?
Won't you have a smoke?
Cigarette?
3. Have a cigarette, please!
请抽烟!
也可以这样说:Please have a smoke.
Please have one of mine.
4. Would you like to try one?
你想来一支吗?
5. It's a new brand.
这是新牌子的。
接受与否
1. OK, I'll have one.
好吧,我抽一支。
2. I always seem to be smoking yours.
我老是抽你的烟。
3. I never smoke before meals.
我饭前从不吸烟。
4. No, thanks. I've just put one out.
不,谢谢。我刚熄灭一支。
5. No, thanks. I've got a bit of cough.
不,谢谢。我有点咳嗽。
6. No, thanks. I've got a sore throat.
不,谢谢。我的嗓子发炎了。
7. No, thanks. I never smoke a pipe.
不,谢谢。我从来不抽烟斗。
8. No, thanks. I've quit.
不,谢谢。我已经戒烟了。
询问别人介意与否
1. Do you mind if I smoke?
你介意我抽烟吗?
也可以这样说:Do you mind?
Is that okay?
2. No, I don't mind.
不,我不介意。
也可以这样说:That's fine with me.
No problem.
Sure, go ahead.
3. Yes, I do mind.
我介意。
4. No, please don't.
请不要那么做。
也可以这样说:You'd better not.
5. I'm allergic to smoke.
我对烟过敏。
6. I'm sorry, but the smoke is bothering me.
对不起,这烟让我难受。
对烟民的警告
1. No smoking!
禁止吸烟!
2. This is a nonsmoking area.
这是无烟区。
3. Please put that cigarette out!
请把烟头熄灭!
4. Stub out your cigarette in the ashtray.
把你的香烟在烟灰缸里捻灭。
5. You should step outside.
你应该到外面吸烟。
6. You'd better not throw cigarette ends here and there.
你最好不要随地乱扔烟头。
7. Smoking is harmful to your health.
吸烟有害健康。
8. You'll smoke yourself sick.
你会因为抽烟而得病的。
核心单词要牢记
nicotine [ˈnikəti:n] n. 尼古丁
cigar [siˈgɑ:] n. 雪茄
pipe [paip] n. 烟斗
aroma [əˈrəumə] n. (烟的)香味
strong/heavy smoker 烟瘾大的人
light smoker 烟瘾小的人
chain smoker 一支接一支吸烟的人
ashtray 烟灰缸
No Smoking Day 无烟日
职场小贴士
我们都知道抽烟有害无益。在国外,抽烟也被视为危害人类健康的一大公敌。那么我们来看看美语是怎样表达抽烟的害处的。最常见的一句当然是“Smoking is bad for your health.”(“抽烟有害身体健康。”);有的人为了警告他们的亲朋好友赶紧戒烟,干脆就直截了当地说:“Smoking will kill you.”;像澳大利亚产的香烟盒上便印着“Smoking kills! ”。当然,一般的瘾君子可不大相信这一套,他们可能会照抽不误。遇到这种情况,你应该义正词严地对他们说:“国际红十字会的研究调查结果表明,“Smoking will give you cancer.”。这样一来,尽管瘾君子们的烟瘾很大,大多数还是会“闻癌色变”的。听到这种劝告,他们还是会多少考虑一下的。对于那些女性吸烟者来讲,想让她们戒烟的话,有什么能比对她们说:“Smoking makes your teeth yellow and ugly.”更有效的呢?作为女子,总不想一笑起来就露出一口被烟熏得又黑又黄的牙齿吧?