第2章 The Life in Big City大城市的生活
“生活在大城市还有多少幸福感?”这样的讨论已经成了北京、上海等大城市的热门话题,因为大城市生活中的种种不便造成了城市居民欲罢不能的心结。如今,在北京、上海、广州、深圳这样的特大城市,交通拥堵、环境污染、入托难、就医难等诸多问题已经严重困扰城市居民的生活。
What is life in big city
什么是大城市的生活
With the rapid economic development, people's living conditions are improved by a large margin, including countryside and big cities. However, there are many differences between them, such as living conditions, consumptive level and interpersonal relationships, etc.
In the first place, there is a tremendous contrast between the living conditions of countryside and that of big cities. Living in big cities, you can get everything you want as soon as possible so long as you have enough money, such as all kinds of delicious food, good medical conditions and so on. And the transportation is very convenient, though it often happens to meet a traffic jam. There are many buses, while taking a bus during the rush hours can be a bit of a bind. In contrast, living in countryside, you will find there is no place for you to consume even if you have much money, because the condition is not allowed. You can't get anything you want in time, such as all kinds of delicious food across the country and the medical treatment in need. Nevertheless, there is little chance to meet a traffic jam because of the easy of access.
Secondly, the consumptive level in big cities is much higher than that in rural areas. In big cities, people usually choose nutritious food for their main meals and refuel now and then. And when they go shopping, they must pay the utmost attention to the high quality and they don't like to knock down-price. Conversely, living in countryside, people prefer to have food which can make them feel satisfied. Meanwhile, in their eyes, they prefer buying superior quality products at a reasonable price, and they are still desirous to knock down-price.
Another difference is in the interpersonal relationships. People who live in big cities are more apartness, while people who live in countryside enthusiastic and friendly to others. The old saying goes “a distant relative is not as good as a near neighbour” is well presented in countryside. Living in countryside, people always hung together when one of them was in trouble. But living in big cities, it is normal that you can't recognize someone who is your neighbor.
In short, life in countryside and life in big cities are quit different in standard of living, habits and customs, etc. We can't say which is more suitable for live, because every coin has two sides.
前段时间,有关“蜗居”(dwelling narrowness)、“蚁族”(ant tribe)的话题着实引发了不少人的关注与讨论。在这些掺杂着若干社会问题(social issue)的评论与讨论中,我们真应该思考一个问题:北京、上海这些承载了众多年轻人梦想的城市就那么好吗?如何才能过上我们想要的大城市生活?
Key words & Sentences
关键词句全知道
He hankered after big city life.
他向往大城市的生活。
Do you enjoy your metropolitan life very much?
你喜欢大城市的生活吗?
Life in big city is a lure for many country boys.
大城市的生活吸引着许多乡下小伙子。
It seems that he enjoys the hustle and bustle of life in the big city.
看起来他似乎很喜欢大城市的热闹繁忙的生活。
Many people are yearning for the myriad life of the metropolis.
很多人都向往大城市多姿多彩的生活。
Life in a large city has its advantages and disadvantages, so has life in the country. But if you have lived in a small town, you can make the best of both.
大城市的生活有利也有弊,乡村生活也是如此。如果你在一个小市镇里住过,你就可以两全其美了。
Social life in a village cannot be compared with that of a large city.
乡村的社会生活不能和大城市的相比。
Acts of courtesy makes the big cities full of the milk of human kindness.
礼貌的行动使大城市里的生活充满人情味。
Cultural life in the country cannot be compared to that of a large city.
农村的文化生活不能与大城市的相比拟。
He could feel the life pulsing through a great city.
他能感受到大城市紧张纷乱的生活。
These kids were used to live in a small village. It took them almost a year to get used to living in a large city.
这些孩子熟悉小村庄的生活,他们差不多用了一年的时间才习惯了大城市的生活。
The young man from the countryside adapted well to life in the big city.
这个农村青年很快适应了大城市的生活。
I hadn't realized how much I miss the big-city life after being struck out here in the boonies for so long.
在边远乡村生活了那么久,我还没有意识到我多么怀念大城市的生活。
In the country, we insulated ourselves from the worries of life in a big town.
在农村我们远离了在大城市生活的种种焦虑。
Living in a big city can be very lonely.
在大城市里生活很孤寂。
Living in the noise and bustle of a large city, we sometimes feel like go into the country.
生活在喧哗和忙碌的大城市,我们有时想去农村。
She learns the hard way that life can be for a woman alone in a big city.
她辛酸地认识到,在大城市里一个孤身女人的生活是很艰难的。
Let's Talk!
开始交流吧!
Ann: Anne, what is your dream house like?
安:安妮,你梦想中的房子是什么样的?
Anne: I'd like a big modern flat in central Shanghai, so I can go shopping every day.
安妮:我希望有一套在上海市中心的现代公寓,那样我就可以天天逛街了。
Ann: Shanghai! But I don't think big city is a good place to live.
安:上海啊!但我觉得大城市并不是个好住处。
Anne: Why? You don't like big city?
安妮:为什么?你不喜欢大城市啊?
Ann: Yes. Living in a big city means great pressure, noise, and air pollution…anyway never peaceful.
安:嗯。住在大城市压力很大,还有噪音和空气污染,就是说永远不会很安宁。
Anne: So what is your dream house looks like?
安妮:那你梦想中的房子又是什么样的?
Ann: I would like a villa near the lake. Its form looks like the British Castle. And it would have a big garden with various flowers and trees.
安:我想要一幢湖边别墅,像英国别墅那样的。还要有一个有花草树木的大花园。
Anne: It sounds like a holiday resort, but not a normal house.
安妮:听起来像是个度假胜地,而不是普通的房子。
Ann: Yes, I hope my house could be a real sweet home, a place to refresh spirits, but not just a place to shelter.
安:对啊,我就是希望我的房子是个真正温馨的家,是个可以恢复精神的家,而不仅是一个遮蔽处。
Anne: I still prefer to live in the prosperous big cities.
安妮:我还是更喜欢生活在繁华的大城市里。
Ann: There are heavy pressures for living in big cities. Increasingly more people crowd into the places like Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou, which lead to many problems, such as traffic jam, air pollution and price increase of housing.
安:大城市的生活有太大的压力。越来越多的人涌向北京、上海、广州这样的地方,导致了很多问题,比如交通拥挤、空气污染、房价上涨。
Ann: But big cities can bring us many opportunities and enjoyments.
安妮:但是大城市也会带给我们很多机会和很多享受。
Ann: According to the current situation, it will take at least ten years for you to buy a house.
安:依照现在的情况来看,你至少要工作十年才能有能力购买一套房子。
Ann: So I will work harder.
安妮:所以我要更加努力地工作。
Ann: All right, I wish you will realize your dream!
安:好吧,希望你早日实现梦想!
Ann: Thank you!
安妮:谢谢!